How To Cope With Emotional Tension
- It is extremely helpful to recognize and name tension in the present moment.
- Locate the tension in your body.
- Direct your breath to the area of the tension.
- When possible, verbally acknowledge the presence of tension. Recognition and acknowledgement go a long way toward helping manage tension.
- Notice and name any emotion associated with the tension. Typically, fear will be the emotion affiliated with tension and occasionally, anger or sadness.
- Interrupt any catastrophic thinking. You likely will neither be fired, be abandoned by your family nor die in the next hour.
- When possible, move your body gently, avoiding freeze and shallow breathing.
- When the tense incident has passed, explore when you first experienced such tension in your life. It can be extremely helpful to separate the historical situation from the current one.